Intersex Campaign for Equality
The Intersex Campaign for Equality (a.k.a OII-USA), is a multi-gendered, multi-orientation, multi-racial NGO founded by and for intersex people. Our mission is to attain human rights for intersex people, particularly the rights to bodily integrity, self-determination, legal recognition, and de-pathologization of intersex traits and non-binary identities in medicine and society.
We strive to create a world where all intersex people are viewed and treated equally by:
- supporting intersex individuals, including those further marginalized by sexism, homophobia, trans-phobia, gender-variant-phobia and racism, by providing contact with other intersex people, support, information, and resources grounded in feminist, multi-gendered, multi-racial, queer-postive perspectives and values
- advocating for legal protection from discrimination based on intersex status, such as a ban on IGM
- advocating for intersex adults’ right to legal recognition
- providing information concerning the goals of the intersex advocacy community, the needs of intersex individuals, and the actual life experiences of intersex people from diverse communities, to all those working with intersex people;
- assisting families and friends of intersex individuals in their role as allies, and in understanding intersex people and variations.
Our Founder, Hida Viloria, was Human Rights Spokesperson for the Organization Intersex International, OII International, before founding OII-USA, and is currently Chairperson of OII International. S/he included their original mission, below, upon founding OII-USA, now the Intersex Campaign for Equality:
OII’s mission to attain human rights for intersex infants, children, and adults, particularly the right to bodily integrity and self-determination. OII rejects the medicalized labels of disorder, such as Disorders of Sex Development (or DSD) — which was imposed on intersex people in 2006 by the medical community to describe intersex people — because it is stigmatizing and facilitates nonconsensual medical and psychiatric practices.